Prevention of Sexual Harassment Cell
Prevention of Sexual Harassment of Women, Women Cell and Legal Awareness Committee
As per the guidelines of UGC, NAAC and Honourable Supreme Court, Prevention of Sexual Harassment of Women at workplace Cell has been established in the college to provide a healthy and congenial atmosphere to the female staff members and students of the College.
As per the provisions of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Work Place (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (POSH Act), the college has constituted an Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) named Prevention of Sexual Harassment of Women, Women Cell and Legal Awareness Committee comprising members with a senior faculty member as the Convener. The present constitution of ICC is as follows:
|Prof (Dr). Anita Kaushal||Principal|
|Prof Guneeta Chadha||Vice Principal|
|Dr. Meenu Verma, Head, Department of Commerce||Convener|
|Dr. Neelam Rathee, Dept. of Psychology||Member|
|Dr. Veenat, Dept. of Sociology||Member|
The following student members have been appointed as Gender Champions but they are not part of the committee:
|Ms. Aditi||B.A II|
|Ms. Brhamleen||B.A II|
|Ms. Kashish||B.A. I|
|Ms. Avantika||B.A. I|
|Ms. Khushi||B.A. I|
Sexual harassment at a college or workplace is considered as violation of women’s right to equality, life and liberty. The committee ensures that there is no insecure and hostile teaching-learning environment which discourages women’s participation in college, thereby adversely affecting their social and economic empowerment and the goal of inclusive growth. Following are the objectives of the committee:
- To ensure that all the provisions in the Sexual Harassment of Women at Work Place (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013(POSH Act) legislation are adhered to in order to protect women employees and students from any act of sexual harassment in the campus.
- To comply with the directives of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India requiring all employers to develop and implement a policy for prevention of sexual harassment at the college.
- To evolve a permanent mechanism for the prevention and redressal of sexual harassment cases and other acts of gender based violence at the College.
- To follow and lay down guidelines for redressal of complaint related to sexual harassment of women in the College.
- To create awareness about gender equity.
Procedure/Mechanism for Lodging Complaint
As per the guidelines of the Act, the committee has formulated the following procedure for lodging the complaints:
- An aggrieved person is required to submit a written complaint to the Prevention of Sexual Harassment of Women, Women Cell and Legal Awareness Committee within three months from the date of the incident. Provided that where such a complaint cannot be made in writing, the Chairperson or any member of the committee shall render all reasonable assistance to the person for making the complaint in writing or can email the complaint to the college email address: email@example.com.
- The committee members investigate the cases and act upon the cases which have been forwarded along with the necessary documents/proof, if any
- The committee assures that the grievance has been properly addressed to and redressed in the stipulated time limit.
The committee is empowered to look into the matters of harassment which includes the following functions:
- A student with a grievance may approach the committee members and file a written complaint in person or via email.
- The cases will be attended promptly on receipt of written grievances from the students.
- The committee will review all cases and act as per rules.
- The committee will prepare and maintain record of all the complaints and action taken.
Our college has been putting efforts zestfully in spreading awareness about the very cause among our young girl students, keeping in mind their safety at utmost priority. The college authorities send suggestions to Chandigarh Police to check eve teasing, as a result of which following actions have been taken by the Police:
- The Police patrolling around the college during late hours has increased to ensure the better safety of the girl students.
- The martial arts students of the college conduct self-defense demonstrations from time to time for the students to learn martial arts, which will be helpful to them in troublesome situations.
- The helpline numbers are also displayed in the college campus so that the police can be contacted immediately in case of eve teasing.
University Grants Commission (Prevention, prohibition and Redressal of sexual harassment of women employees and students in higher educational institutions) Regulation, 2015.